Thursday, August 28, 2008

An Interesting thought...

In my reading I came across this quote in a section about election....
“If indeed the bible teaches election (or any other doctrine) then one is obligated to believe in it.”
At this point I’m not interested in election, mainly cos I don't understand it. At some point I want to do more reading but I’m not there yet. But the quote struck me...and my initial response was yea of coarse but it has made me think...do I believe everything the bible teaches just because and only because its in the bible...I should but do I...have I trained myself through my study at college to question to much instead of accepting??? Its an interesting thought...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a good point Bec. I think I struggle with this one too. But then again, questioning stuff isn't necessarily bad. Sometimes you need to work through the issue and come to an understanding. The thing that I have come to realise after going through bcq is that I no longer just accept stuff. Its not always bad (although I get frustrated sometimes). But because I need to work through it and read up about it, I come to my understanding of it and that helps.
I think for the most part that bloke is right, we should accept and believe what the bible says. BUT thats what the Jw's & mormans have done too. They have read something and got their point of view from what they read. does that make sense?
cheers, Tan

Dodgy Pete said...

I agree. There is very little we should just "accept". As Tan's comment raises, even verses we think we understand we should continually be revisiting and questioning.

Verses can mean quite different things once we have a better understanding of the history, Jesus and Gods nature, Jewish culture, etc.

I hope and pray I will go to the grave questioning what I do, what I believe, and what scripture is communicating.

And scripture or the apostolic witness is only one part of Gods revelation. Our experience and relationship with God is just as important.

My 3 cents.